11 June 2007

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Techno

I feel like a toy soldier again. Press the right buttons, make and fulfill certain requests, send off emails, provide data. Life is more than this, but it wouldn't seem like that.

When my birthday rolled around, no one said anything about it at the office. No card, no birthday wishes, nothing. Not a word. And I know that I'm getting older and that I shouldn't expect a fuss for my birthday -- nor do I want to make a big deal out of it -- but it is a bit of a let down to realize that your office just doesn't care.

Aramis was the one who ended up brightening my day. The three of us were sitting around the coffee house, Aramis doing his usual dashing in and out. He finally came back, settled in, and pulled a piece of chocolate cake out of a bag. Nothing that unusual for him, really. Then he pulled out the candles. Joking that he probably couldn't get all 23 to fit on one piece of cake, Aramis stuck two candles in the icing and lit them.

"Happy Birthday, Techno."

1 comment:

the swordsman said...

Hey Techno. Belated Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed it - since I lost my Internet a couple of weeks ago, I've barely been around. Take care. John