26 August 2007

trying to heal

I am in the same time zone as my mother, and I have refused to see her for two weekends in a row now. My parents are coming next weekend -- I can't delay the inevitable.

I jump at my own shadow. At car horns blowing unexpectedly. When someone comes up behind me.

My hands shake. What were once smooth movements, mindless things to do now are jerky and take more concentration. Writing. Typing. Using a mouse. Eating with chopsticks. What's worse is that I'm not entirely sure if it's from the medication or something else.

It's not unusual for me to see injured veterans here. Some have more than one prosthesis. Some are badly scarred. Many casts, many wheelchairs, many canes.

When the plane landed and liaisons, chaplains, medical personnel and unloading crew where pouring in, someone asked me what happened to me. Why am I here. It's a question that's following me everywhere these days.

I don't want to talk about it.

And this is not how I imagined my return to the States.

No comments: