20 September 2007

being a good friend

I watched him have (what I think was) a manic episode last night.

Music pumping, he's bobbing around the kitchenette between cooking dinner and talking to himself. Out loud. Almost as if he was holding a one-sided conversation.

Later, he's playing a driving game on Xbox. Nothing about that is out of the ordinary -- he plays while laying in bed every night. Only he's standing on the bed, an unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and yelling and pointing at the TV.

His thoughts are racing, his pupils are dilated, he's full of energy, he doesn't want to calm down. It's a rush.

After he pops some pills, as he's finally coming down, he slows... and shakes.

The next day he says that he doesn't think what happened was a problem; that it was controlled. It was barely controlled. I was waiting for the seams to burst.

Honestly, I was afraid. I wanted him to go to the ER. But no, there's no problem here, we don't need to go to the ER.

When I reported it to his Point of Contact, I was shaking. Anxious. I wouldn't have told her if I wasn't concerned about him. He needs to get well but he doesn't think there's a problem at all.
The tech thanked me, told me that he is lucky to have a friend who is so concerned.

I left wondering if my actions would put him back in the inpatient ward. Even so, he might just get the help he needs.

No comments: