01 September 2007

leaving them behind

The hardest thing about leaving the desert was leaving the guys behind. Although the reality of it was they were already gone in one sense or another. That happens when the Army dictates where you're going to work, when you're going to work, and what's involved in that job. Your life is in someone else's hands. Just a part of life out there. A part I don't miss much.

I think of them often, regardless of where they are now. Is Driver still having nightmares of his convoy being attacked and his friends killed by insurgents? Will his driving in the States be rather eventless? Has the base where Aramis is stationed been mortared lately? Can he sleep with the jets taking off constantly? Who has Ky's back now? Who is going to be his shoulder to lean on? Do they even think of me?

It's funny how three flights and three weeks changes your world completely. This wasn't the way it was supposed to be, but it's for the best.

Here's the question that bothers me the most: is it harder to be seperated but in the same time zone as Wolf and my mom or to be an ocean away from Ky and Aramis?

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

No comments: