26 July 2007

shotgun wedding

I stumbled upon this quote in the comments section of Funny Mom's Blog
One point I whole-heartedly disagree with is that a wedding belongs to the bride and groom. They think it's their day. Everyone tells them it's their day. Au contraire. It's the day that officially, and dramatically changes the way two families have operated for a long time. It's the day when complications begin, and negotiations get underway for equal time at holidays and other family events. Sure, most of the pictures will be taken of the newly married couple, but the rest of the pictures are those people, your new, larger family and friends who are sizing up the situation and wondering how this will affect them.
And on that note, I'd like to mention my brother is getting married on Sunday. I was told this on Tuesday. I'm guessing that my mother found out Monday.

I'm obviously not going. Truthfully, I'm not even sure if I was formally invited. It's not like anyone else got paper invitations, either. Our grandparents already had plans and won't be attending. Other family members are probably going to be in the same situation. They, at least, have the option of going if they really wanted to. I can't just walk up to my Sergeant Major and ask for a few days off, buy a plane ticket, and fly home.

How hard is it to wait a few more weeks?

1 comment:

AkuTyger said...

Yeah, that sucks. My brother didn't come to my wedding either. He had more warning though. He decided he wanted to go canoing instead.