09 February 2007

combat dream

Driver sits across from me at the table, shifting nervously in his chair. He looks exhausted, even though we went to bed early last night. This morning he slept through PT which is not at all like him. Earlier I teased him -- "the night we go to bed early is the day you wake up late!" Driver didn't think it was very funny.

I ask him what time he went to bed. Ten thirty, but he didn't sleep well. Why? Doesn't want to talk about it. Why? Kept waking up. Why? What was bothering him? Doesn't want to talk about it, he's afraid that he'll make me upset. What kept him up? A dream. What kind of dream? A bad one.

From there he launches into the explanation of his dream while I listen intently. In the dream, he was out on a mission. His convoy was hit, complex attack. Chaos everywhere. He jumped out of his vehicle, runs for his friend and pulls her along with him. They run and run and run, only to have an insurgent pull a handgun on them. The dream ends when a RPG blows up his head.

As long as there aren't more like that, I'm not worried. But so much for not having nightmares.

No comments: