24 August 2006

Mother Army and Home

Mother Army decided that I needed to get my typhoid vaccination, which I technically wasn't due for another few months. Whatever -- it's a free typhoid shot on the Army, no matter how much it sucks. (Dear Right Arm, please stop hurting.) And I won't have to worry about getting one before I go to Brazil again.

We're starting to get into specialized classes, and since I'm not registered in any, I get to sit around the barracks and do a whole lot of nothing. I would do laundry, but I did mine yesterday. I would go to the PX, but I did that yesterday. I want to go to the gym or to the library, but no one wants to go with me. So going out isn't much of an option.

Such is life. I'll probably read, write, and play video games. Like normal. Too bad that there isn't any internet in the barracks.

*****

Now that I know that I have on-site service for my laptop, a whole laundry list of things that need to be done are coming to mind. Poor lappy sometimes does this whirl-click thing, and I'm not sure if it's the fan, the DVD drive or the hard drive. I'm also not too sure if it's done it since I had the motherboard replaced. I need rubber footies. There's a weird random warning message when I boot up, and I don't know if it's just because I'm not plugged into a network. (And I have no way of testing this theory, either.)

I'm really hoping that my hard drive is NOT failing. Yeah, I can back up my data, but I'm not sure if I have backups of some of my favorite programs.

And that whole not having unlimited access to broadband internet or to Fuzz is really putting a cramp in my style.

*****

I called Dragonette this morning, hoping to catch her after her dinner. That's probably the only good thing about having to wake up so early -- I can call Dragonette at a decent hour.

I don't even remember what I wanted anymore. Probably just girltalk.

However, I do find it amusing that no matter what language the "leave a message after the tone" recording is, there's always a tone, and you always know to leave a message.

*****

MeuAmor and I talked last night about me possibly spending the holidays in Brazil after my deployment. He's still upset about some stupid shit that I've said and done, and has remained completely neutral on the subject. No, not neutral. More like apathetic. He said that he didn't want to get worked up about something that may or may not happen.

The problem isn't that I'm going to Brazil after my deployment -- I am. I'm going to go visit Amiga in Curitiba, I'm thinking about going to Rio de Janeiro, and I'm planning on spending quite some time with MeuAmor and his family. I just don't know if it's a really good idea to spend not one, but two years worth of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years away from my family. Not just my parents but my aunts, uncles, cousins, and so on. Yeah, there is a time in everyone's life where they grow up and do stuff, but I know that my mom will be fairly resistant to the idea. And I might actually want to be home.

MeuAmor doesn't get it. And that's okay.

No comments: