09 August 2006

written on August 4

Road march #2 in the morning. I'm absolutely exhausted, so I stayed home from the library tonight to get ready for the march and go to bed early. I'm all moleskinned, taped, and loaded up for the march tomorrow which is definitely a good sign.

Since I'm on the Profile of Doom I can't march and carry a load of 48 pounds. So instead of wearing all of my gear tomorrow morning, I'm only wearing part of it. The heavist, most constricting part of it: my body armor. Chica said that even if I need to take it off in the middle of the march that I'll at least have started to acclimate myself to it. Honestly, I'm not sure if I can go for three miles with all of that extra weight. No other choice, though. Drive on, soldier, drive on.

Getting ready for a road march is always interesting. And it's so different for everyone. I'm considered a heat casualty and all of my gear is marked with red so that I stand out in a group of soldiers. That was taken care of days ago and I haven't messed with it since. But it does mean that my Camelback is filled with sports drink diluted in water. I also carry a few snacks to eat in a cargo pocket on my person. (We don't eat breakfast until after the march.) And then, my feet. Oh my goodness, my feet. Moleskin and toe seperators galore. I've been taping the moleskin down to make it stay in place. Sometimes I remember foot powder, sometimes I don't. Luckily the boots I'm wearing are already broken in and have civilian insoles in them, so they're a bit more comfortable. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for my knee in the morning -- maybe some of the miracle green goo. The other leg -- you know, the one affected by shingles and PHN -- already has licodaine patches on it, taped down, naturally. In the morning, I'll put my hair up and then pull on my uniform, boots, and body armor and roll out the door.

And then walk for forever and a half. Nothing to it, really!

It should be fine. Just another BS thing to get through before leaving this place.

No comments: