26 August 2006

These boots are killing me! - written on 25 August 2006

Already I have a love-hate relationship with my boots. I love them because I don't have to polish them anymore. I love them because the soles are actually shock-absorbing instead of just hard rubber (or whatever it is that they use). However, I hate them because, afterall, they are combat boots and they need to be broken in. And breaking in boots is never a pretty process.

If I've learned nothing else during my time in the Army, I've definitely found out the hard way that I have narrow heels. My heels don't sit properly in the boot and they rub against the boot with every step I take. And there is absolutely nothing that can be done about sizing that particular part of the foot. As long as the boot fits snugly across the toes and fits well length-wise, the Army will sign off on it. If the boot rubs, oh well. And I've been "oh well'ed" every single time that I've been fitted for boots.

Fortunately, companies have been keen on this issue and there is all sorts of stuff out there. The PX carries heel snugs, moleskin, several different kinds of insoles, and boot socks. A ten dollar pair of socks, some moleskin, and insoles do wonders.

But did I actually do any of this before I put on my brand new pair of boots? No. Do I know better? Yes. Especially now that I have huge blisters on the backs of my heels to the point where I'm limping around. Stupid Techno.

Good thing that I stocked up on moleskin.

No comments: