31 May 2007

Gamer

As soon as I got to the corner of the coffee shop, I knew that something was wrong. Ky was sitting by himself. Gamer, who had joined us for the last week or so without fail, wasn't there. And he was always waiting for us to come in from work.

Unlike Ky and myself, Gamer wasn't stationed here. We knew that he had spent time somewhere else (a lot of people have) but neither one of us even suspected the truth. Gamer was a transient Soldier. Med hold, waiting for medevac. Neither of us found any of this out until last night. I never thought to ask. Why would I? His injuries aren't at all obvious, and he is a very bright and out going young man. The night he stumbled upon our little LAN, we invited him to hook up and he had been here every night since.

When I left him last night everyone thought he would at least be here for the weekend. We had made plans for tonight, like usual. But 1930 rolls around and there is no Gamer. His chair was empty, and there was no sign of his bag. Something was wrong.

Anxious, I leave the coffee shop and head towards the med hold barracks.
"Who are you looking for?"
"Gamer. Is he here?"
"Gamer?"
"Yes. Have you seen him?"
"He left this afternoon. His request was approved last night. He was medevac'd."
I must have stood there in shock for just a second before thanking the man and scurrying back to the coffee shop. Gamer is long gone. By the time I went to go find him, he was already in Germany.

Good luck, buddy. Get better soon.

No comments: