27 May 2007

Memorial Day

Other than the mandatory fun run in the morning and Memorial Day services, I have the tomorrow off. Which, unfortunately, will either be spent in my bunk or down at the coffee shop. I must admit, I miss playing music on Memorial Day. I miss the quiet mornings in the cemetery, seeing the old WWII vets, and listening to the speeches. I am proud that my hometown always had a good turnout despite the early morning ceremony.

Last year, I was in reclass school. I think we had a picnic by the lake. I remember it being very relaxing, a nice break from classwork and life in general. It felt strange, to not be involved in any kind of ceremony, to not spend my morning in a cemetery. I'm sure that I was thinking of my upcoming mobilization and deployment, leaving home for lands unknown while feeling totally unprepared. (In my opinion, nothing can truly prepare one for their first deployment.)

This year, I'm in the desert. Thinking of Driver and hoping that he encounters nothing more dangerous than a hedgehog. Wondering if the captured Soldiers are safe, or if they suffered the same fate as PFC Anzack. Trying to come to terms that while the general American public sees me as this great war hero (or a heartbroken Soldier running to the desert to cure what ails her), that I am only a desk jockey, a fobbit, a paper-pusher, another clog in the wheel of bureaucracy.

I'd much rather be in a national cemetery watching the funeral processions come and go, listening to Taps being played over and over again, anticipating the three volleys of the 21-gun salute. Just seems to be a more fitting way to spend the day.

No comments: