29 May 2007

minor luxeries

Stumbled out of the barracks this morning, toothbrush in hand. Climbed the steps to the latrine/shower trailer, headed for the sinks, turned on the water and brushed my teeth. Stumbled back to the barracks and then down to the gym for PT.

After PT, I'm covered in a layer of sweat -- like always -- and the only thing I could think about is a nice warm shower and a nap before work. Grabbed the essentials, and headed back to the latrines. No water. None. Couldn't flush the toilets, couldn't brush your teeth, couldn't take a proper shower. There was no way I was going to climb back into bed without a shower.

But the other females were in the shower stalls, drying off, getting dressed. I could hear water. How in the world...? Then I saw it, sticking out from behind a shower curtain. Water bottles. The big one and a half liter water bottles. Okay, fine, I can do that. I'm up for whatever it takes to get clean at this point. And yet... the logistics of it... How much water does one person need for a shower? And how many water bottles does that equal?

The answer: a single one and half liter water bottle. Just don't wash your hair or shave.

Oh, how I miss indoor plumbing.

No comments: