18 May 2007

since when is MySpace a dating site?

Okay, I understand the "new" Army OPSEC policy for bloggers. I know what I can and can't take photos of, and I know what I have to Photoshop out of the photos that I want to share with the world. Got it, tracking, good to go.

But, blocking MySpace? And Facebook? Shame on you, Mother Army. For the record, they are not dating sites, but rather, networking sites. Most of us use MySpace or Facebook to communicate with those in the rear. I understand blocking them on work-related computers, as it's easy to waste hours on either website. That's not exactly productive. But off-duty hours and locations, there shouldn't be a problem. I haven't made it to one of the labs to see if they really are blocked there.

This is a stark reminder that the Army is so out of touch with Web 2.0 and its own web-savvy Soldiers.

Don't lock us down -- use us to your advantage.

Edit: Yes, those selected sites were already blocked on duty computers -- as they should be -- and the Stars and Stripes reported recently (today? yesterday?) that MySpace and such are accessible from certain MWR facilities. There have been periods here where MySpace was blocked at least two free labs on my post, and Soldiers had to go to the commercial internet cafe and pay $5 an hour for internet. That was lifted, but I don't know if it's back in place again as I mostly use commercial internet during off-duty hours. Will have to check that out.

No comments: