13 May 2007

living on the surface of the moon

I am the only one in the lab at the moment, and it's one of those surreal moments. It's almost like everyone else on camp is asleep... but I know that's not the case. Those that work today are already at work, and those that don't are probably still asleep in their bunks -- my roommate included.

Being here in the desert is still a little strange, even after all of these months. When fall came, I wasn't expecting it to get so cold. Winter brought even colder weather, as well as fog and rain. The mild spring temperatures are gone with most of the flowers. Which leaves the ever-constant sun, wind, and sand. I still walk out of buildings, stare out over the horizon and wonder if I really am living on the surface of the moon. It's now normal for it to be more than 100F/38C at lunchtime. Was it really so long ago that Dragonette's mom was leaving us notes on the bathroom mirror warning us that it was only 57F/14C outside?

Maybe it's the lack of freedom, the feeling that I'm back in high school again. Maybe the fences and the barriers are really starting to get to me. Maybe it's the sun, the complete lack of anything green. Maybe it's the frustration of comings and goings, time differences, life that moves on without. Maybe I really am homesick.

If I go home on emergency leave, will the goodbyes be just as painful this time around? Or will it be better because we all know that this is almost over?

No comments: